In honor of International Women's Day
Each year, the Office of International Programs cordially invites members of the UNC Charlotte campus community to celebrate International Women’s Day (IWD) on a date in late March.
International Women's Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women while also making a call to action for accelerating gender balance. Gender balance is defined as “participation of an approximately equal number of women and men within an activity or organization, including, for example, representation in committees or in decision-making structures.” Gloria Steinem, world-renowned feminist, journalist, and activist once explained "the story of women's struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organization but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights." Collective action and shared responsibility for driving a gender-balanced world is key.
The first International Women's Day occurred in 1911, supported by over one million people. Today, IWD belongs to all groups collectively everywhere. IWD is not country, group or organization specific.
The 2020 UNC Charlotte International Women's Day Celebration will take place on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 from 3:30pm - 5:30pm in the Student Union Multipurpose Room.
The IWD celebration will recognize individuals involved in international and/or gender balance issues nominated by their peers.
You are invited to nominate someone who has made an impact on the lives of women locally or globally to be recognized and celebrated on this special day.
A special thank you to the 2020 UNC Charlotte International Women's Day committee:
- Dr. Jessamyn Bowling, Department of Public Health Sciences
- Dr. Ann Dils, Department of Dance
- Dr. Janaka Lewis, Department of English
2020 International Women's Day Program
- Fill out the brief nomination form below to recognize UNC Charlotte women whose achievements deserve recognition by the deadline on Monday, February 24.
- International Women’s Day, recognized by the United Nations on March 8, is celebrated in various countries around the world. International Women's Day, as acknowledged by the United Nations, is a time to reflect on progress made and a call for change. It is a celebration of acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in the history of their countries and communities.
- Recognize the 2020 honorees and hear from the Keynote Speaker and panel at the Annual IWD Celebration in the Popp Martin Student Union, room 340, at 3:30pm on Wednesday, March 18.
- Please RSVP on the online registration form for the 2020 International Women's Day Celebration
Nomination Eligibility and Criteria
Any student, staff, or faculty member at UNC Charlotte may be nominated or self-nominate
Nominees may be a citizen of any country
Nominees must demonstrate an interest in gender equity through their studies, work, activism, etc. while also working in or advocating for international collaboration and understanding.
Nominees should not have been previously recognized at International Women’s Day at UNC Charlotte within the past 3 years (List of previous recipients is on the OIP website.) After 3 years, a previous recipient may be nominated for a different contribution (view listing of previously nominated women)
Contribution to gender balance. Please explain how the studies, work, or action relates to gender balance.
Contribution to international understanding and collaboration. Please explain how the studies, work, or action relates to advocating for international understanding and collaboration.
Demonstrated impact of contributions to gender balance in the international context (or in ways that may be applicable in international contexts). Please provide evidence of impact. (This may include, but is not limited to: class presentations, number of students/participants, hours volunteered, qualitative feedback on learning, teaching, or activity.)
The purpose of this celebration and these nominations is to acknowledge that our campus community is filled with local women who embody the richness of internationalism and we would like to recognize these individuals for their contributions to UNC Charlotte and the world.
No accomplishment is too small, no experience insignificant.
Please take the time to nominate those whose every day actions deserve distinction.
The 2020 International Women's Day Nomination Form will open on February 3 and close on February 24. Please join us on Wednesday, March 18 to celebrate and recognize women and their accomplishments.
Learn more about International Women's Day.